Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Running With Purpose

1 Corinthians 9:24-27

“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”

Lately, I have become more aware that I need to work with purpose, God’s purpose. So often we become so absorbed in the multitude of things that demand our time, that we lose sight of God’s purpose. People, jobs, and circumstances put demands on us. Most of those things are good and often necessary but steal away our time from what is most important. I’m reminded of the illustration where you have sand gravel and stones to put into a jar. If you put the sand and gravel in first, you will not have room to get all the stones in. But if you put the stones in first, then pour in the gravel and sand, it will all fit.

Paul challenges us here not to run aimlessly and not to fight like a man beating the air. Sometimes we need to step back and check to see if what we are doing or thinking about getting involved in fits into our gifting and what God has called us to do. And be careful about the fights you pick. Satan often wants us to get so occupied in spiritual warfare or putting out fires, we don’t have time to do what God has called us to do.

God told Jeremiah, “ For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:11-14

God prospers His plans. When you are in His plans, he will prosper you and give you a hope and a future. As I shared in my devotional God is in Control, we need to ask: “What are you doing, God, and how do you want me to participate in what you are doing?”
It is interesting to note that in God’s promise to Jeremiah that “God knows the plans He has for you,” verse 12 says, “THEN you will call upon me and pray to me, and I will listen to you.” The condition of our prayers being answered is to be in God’s plan.

“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.”

I pray today that God will help you to step back from the urgency of the moment to re-affirm what He has called and equipped you to do and realign yourself with His plans and purpose for you.

Andy Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment