Monday, September 10, 2012

All Authority



In Matthew 8:6-13 a Roman centurion came to Jesus to heal his servant who was paralyzed. When Jesus said he would come, the centurion gave an astounding response.
"Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof. But only speak a word, and my servant will be healed. For I also am a man under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and to another, 'Come,' and he comes; and to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it."

You notice the centurion did not say that I am a man of authority but “a man under authority.” The centurion touches on the first key to authority. That authority is derived from submission to a greater authority. Jesus marvels at the centurion’s response and turns to the crowd and declares; “Assuredly, I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!” Why does Jesus associate this concept of authority to “great faith”?  It comes from the second key to authority, and that is God’s authority is absolute. The centurion said, when I tell, “my servant ‘Do this,’ he does it.” There is no discussion, negotiations, delay, maybe or an excuse of any kind. When he gave a command, it was as good as done.

In our world today, we have lost our sense of authority, both in submission to authority and operating in authority. When God spoke, the worlds came into existence at the authority of His word. Great people of faith are people who respond to and operate in the authority of God. When God told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, the Bible says he got up the next morning and set off to do it. When God told Moses to stretch forth his rod over the Red Sea, he acted immediately.

 In Matthew 28:18-20 Jesus said: "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

Our authority to carry out the ministry God has called us to is derived out of our relationship with Jesus who has “ALL AUTHORITY” and the degree of authority we give Him in our lives. The people in Jesus day said that “He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.” Matthew 7:29

The world is looking today for a people who walk under and in God’s authority. By His Spirit He has given you authority to carry out all that He has called you to do and the authority to overcome any challenge or obstacle the enemy may bring against you.

Andy Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment