Monday, April 22, 2013

Hearing God's Voice



Hearing God’s voice is essential to walking with God. Jesus said, “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.” (John 10:27-28) How can we follow Jesus if we do not hear His voice? Security, peace, and salvation come in hearing the voice of God and following Him. We live in the information age, and voices are bombarding us through the media and social media. In the midst of all the noise we need to be able to take time to quiet our spirit and learn to hear the voice of Christ in our daily lives if we are going to survive in these last days.

Millions have converted to Christ because one man heard His voice. Saul “fell to the ground, and heard a voice.” (Acts 9:4) Paul, as he became known, touched the lives of thousands of people in his day and wrote most of the New Testament, which continues to impact our lives. Acts 10:9,13 says, “Peter went up upon the housetop to pray….and there came a voice to him.” As a result of Peter taking the time to hear Christ’s voice and obeying, the entire Gentile race was welcomed into the kingdom along with the entire house of Cornelius. What could God do today if Christians would learn to hear and obey God’s voice!

In this time of shaking, fear, deception and uncertainty, we need to hear God’s voice more than ever. Hebrews 12:25-27 warns us, “See that you do not refuse Him who speaks. For if they (the Israelites at Mt. Sinai) did not escape who refused Him who spoke on earth, much more shall we not escape if we turn away from Him who speaks from heaven, whose voice then shook the earth; but now He has promised, saying, "Yet once more I shake not only the earth, but also heaven."  Now this, "Yet once more," indicates the removal of those things that are being shaken, as of things that are made, that the things which cannot be shaken may remain.”

Hearing God’s voice is birthed out of a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. “Jesus said, “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them.” Personal relationships are developed by spending time with people. Going to church and spending time with Christians who talk about the things of God are crucial. But even more important is spending time with God through personal time in His word and talking with Him in prayer to learn to hear His voice for yourself. As you learn to hear Him in your quiet time, you will begin to recognize that quiet prompting of the Holy Spirit in your daily activities. This will bring direction and purpose to your life, peace, and joy, and allow you to speak into the lives of others whom God brings across your path.

To the last church, the Laodicean church, the Lord cries, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.  "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."'" (Revelations 3:20-22)

Andy Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment